Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Importance of Creativity

     In this video Ken Robinson is discussing the matter of creativity in schools. He states that is is just as important at literacy and must be properly integrated into schools curriculum. He tells us that we are being educated to grow out of our creativity. He says people need to rethink their view of intelligence, in a way that we value subjects at the top of the pyramid (like math and science) and include art and music and other creativity as well instead of pushing it to the side. He defines creativity as the process of having original ideas that have value and we need to use this gift wisely. He tells us that children are our future and we must educate them in their whole capacity so they can make something of it.
     I completely agree with what Ken Robinson is talking about in his speech. I remember going through school and never really being good at art or music and I believe it was because I was never encouraged to reach my full potential of my creativity. I remember art and music always being pushed to the back burner when it came to school. Now while working in a school and being around children, I see just how much they love to be creative with their mind and their bodies. I realize how much they learn by using their creative minds and how important it is to implement it into the classroom, especially young children.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, I completely agree with you! I remember going through school and creativity was something that only came out in a 25 minute art class. I was slightly different in the fact that I was always wanting to color, paint, etc., but we were never given the chance to embrace our creativity. Music classes were ONCE a week and typically only 20 minutes long- and lets face it- you aren't going to get much done in 20 minutes.
    By being out in actual classrooms through practicums and observations- it is evident that creativity is starting to make its comeback. As I walk through the Discovery School in Murfreesboro- those kids are SO creative and as I watch them create their projects it is so awesome to see their excitement about it because they get to be creative. I hope that creativity just continues to come back- not only in the art form, but the music form as well. Perhaps it would get students more excited about being in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impressed with this video. I believe that schools often ignore the importance of encouraging creativity. Typically, when someone is presented with a project, they immediately add the disclaimer of, "I am not really creative, but...". I have said and heard it a million times. We could be conditioned to believe we cannot be creative because we either do not have the opportunity, or it just was not shown to be important in class. Classrooms should bring back the significance of art, creativity, and thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete